Connecting to ProctorU
This process will likely take between 8 to 10 minutes unless you experience technical difficulties (be sure to test your equipment before test day to minimize the chance you’ll have technical issues), in which case we can assist you with fixing your equipment. This time is not subtracted from the time you’re allowed in your exam.
Log in to your ProctorU account 2-3 minutes before your scheduled appointment and click Start Session when the countdown timer reaches 0:00:00.
- Pre-checks: If you don’t already have the ProctorU extension, you’ll be prompted to download it. You’ll be required to accept exam guidelines and terms of service. The browser will prompt you to share your screen, a required part of being proctored online. You’ll be automatically guided through a series of equipment checks to make sure your system meets minimum requirements.
- Photos & Authentication: You’ll take a photo of yourself as well as your I.D. for identity verification purposes.
- Chatbox download: You will be prompted to download and run a LogMeIn Rescue applet file that will bring up a chat box allowing you to text with your proctor. If prompted, be sure to click “open” or “allow” to give the file permission to run. When the chat box says “waiting,” it means that you are in the queue waiting for your proctor. TIP: If your status shows “waiting,” do not re-download the applet file as that will put you back at the end of the queue.
- Proctor Connection & Confirmations: Your proctor will greet you and confirm that you passed your identity verification steps. You’ll review the exam rules with your proctor and they’ll ask to see any permitted resources that OMPT allows you to use during your exam.
- Remote System Check: Your proctor will ask to take remote control of your mouse and keyboard via the LogMeIn Rescue applet in order to make sure no unpermitted programs are running. You will be able to see everything that your proctor is doing during this step, and it is impossible for them to access any files without your knowledge.
- Camera Pan: Your proctor will ask you to show the 4 walls of your room as well as your desk space via your webcam. You may or may not also be asked to show your computer monitor. Your proctor will make sure your cell phone is out of reach.
- Navigating to the Exam & Password Entry: Your proctor will then ask you to log in to the OMPT platform so that he or she can unlock your exam with a specific exam URL.
- Take Your Exam: Your proctor will release control of your computer and you’ll begin your exam when you’re ready.
Your webcam view and your screen will be recorded through the duration of your exam.